Samstag, 3. November 2018

A day at the lake


A home built Dornier from the exhibition
Some days ago my fellow model plane club members and I went to an exhibition of model plane producers. They showed the latest products in all branches of remote controlled stuff. Ships, Cars, Drones and Planes were equally presented. I went straight to the propeller producers and got myself some cutting edge airscrews. Back home I mounted them on the Catalina and finally got her ready for her maiden flight.
If you take a good look you see a monkey
and a plane
The next day - by accident - I met some friends at a lake and of course brought her there. I was a fresh day in autumn and a stiff breeze was blowing towards the lakeside. As I am used by the Easy Glider that one can start with almost any wind as long as you start against it, I knew no fear and prepared the Flying Boat for her maiden.
I put an 3 cell Lithium Polymer Battery (3S LiPo) which is slightly overpowered for the Catalina and had to install the Camera on her tail to balance the battery. To prevent entering water I put some tape on the gaps between the cap in front and the fuselage and I covered the camera with a lot of tape. Then I checked everything and put the Catalina in to the water. As the wind blew her towards the shore I gave her some throttle to put her in position and then took off.
The takeoff was glorious. As elegant and scale as possible she lifted herself into the air after just some one or two meters of acceleration. She lifted slowly into the air and I thought this would be an awesome flight before many as I’ve brought four batteries. Suddenly she took her nose straight to the ground and I had to catch her with a lot of elevator. Then she turned towards the forest behind me and quicker than I could have saved her again she crashed into the next tree and hung in its branches.
It took me some serious climbing to get her back down.
Leftovers after the crash
On the ground I found my glorious new propellers both partially damaged, one of the engine cover that protect the engine from splashing water slightly broken and one floater off the wing.
On my way home I already ordered new propellers - I know the producer now. Tomorrow I might do some glueing on the plastic parts and put some pictures online so that in a week or so I can install the new propellers and get her up again. If she flies as she did at first, it will be a very docile and elegant plane that might merit some upgrades but first there needs to be further testing.

For the video of the maiden flight check here.


The Catalina in her element

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen